Monday, September 06, 2004

happy merry-go-round

And things got a little busy...

I am pretty amazed by all that has come to light regarding Mark and his music in the past couple of weeks. After months of information barely trickling out of the vast hole of chaos that is the Internet, suddenly a number of great resources have opened up.

First and foremost it appears that Mr. Curry has indeed found a new record label at Hard Soul Records, an indie label just starting up in Los Angeles. The website says that the company will be releasing a compilation album containing songs by all of the label's artists. At least one Mark Curry track will be one it, a song called "Merry-Go-Round". If you click on the "Hard Souls" link on the main web page, you can scroll down to a Mark Curry link that lets you hear a good chunk of the song. The site also maintains that Mark is recording (or has recorded) a new album that will be coming out soon on the Hard Souls label. This will be the his first album in seven years.

This is great news.

The record label seems to have a pretty clear "fuck you" attitude towards corporate music. I think that's absolutely awesome. The website has a few bugs in it yet, but as they are cleaned up I intend to check out the other artists on the label. Anything I can do to support the little guy and bring down the evil empire makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside. (If anyone from Hard Soul is reading this, I encourage you to get the store section of your site up and running! Unless, of course, you already plan to distribute to one of the cute indie stores in Davis. Let me know if you do!) Maybe I should send these guys one of mydemos!

Next is the Mark Curry mailing group on Yahoo. I already wrote earlier about reading through several years years of postings and being thrilled to hear about so many other Curry fans. It was great to hear about all kinds of different unreleased and live recordings that people were trading. You can imagine my delight when John Crow offered up his home server for the collection and trading of said Mark Curry material. Others have posted material and there now exists a nice collection of music and photos over at his website. John has allowed anyone to post material to the ftp site using the login markcurry and password markcurry. If you have something cool, I encourage you to post it!!

I was able to finally obtain clean copies of tracks that were scratched on my second generation copy of "Down in My Alley". There is a great recording of "Perfect Government" by Mark on the "Mark Curry EP". It's really great to see all of this stuff in one place.

Hey Mark, is there going to be any sort of tour with the album?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home